Under unit lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you come across 'kitchen-diners' (or even, as one of my daughter's has, a kitchen-diner-living room)??

Kind Regards, John

The OP said it was a kitchen, not a kitchen-diner. He also said he wanted to be able to dim the under cupboard task lighting, hence my comment about cutting onions or fingertips.

Sponsored Links
Please explain why you think you are justified in assuming that the OP's other half is not capable of adjusting the lights as required?

Note - that is not a rhetorical question - I really want you to explain your reasoning.
Oh well - it's been 2 days, and since then Winston has found the time to make 5 posts in 3 topics, including this one.

I think it safe to assume that he is completely unwilling to explain why he believes that the OP's "other half" is incapable of working a dimmer switch and that therefore it is helpful to challenge his decision to have dimmable lights.

Oh well - it's been 2 days, and since then Winston has found the time to make 5 posts in 3 topics, including this one.

I think it safe to assume that he is completely unwilling to explain why he believes that the OP's "other half" is incapable of working a dimmer switch and that therefore it is helpful to challenge his decision to have dimmable lights.

It has been suggested it could be a kitchen-diner, though the OP has not commented on this.

I was challenging the decision to have dimmable task lights above a worktop and suggested one reason why. I never suggested anyone could not work a dimmer switch. I still cannot see any point in dimmable task lights.

I still cannot see any point in dimmable task lights.
As a generalisation ... different tasks have different degrees of optimal illumination - there is such a thing as 'too much illumination' for a particular task.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It has been suggested it could be a kitchen-diner, though the OP has not commented on this.
So you don't think it could be?

I was challenging the decision to have dimmable task lights above a worktop and suggested one reason why.

This is what you said:

Now we are back on topic please consider why you need dimmable lighting in a kitchen of all places. It is a work room with sharp implements and you need the maximum light possible. This is especially true with task lighting above a worktop from under the cupboards. Your other half won't thank you for cutting her fingertips rather than the onions because the lights were dimmed.

I never suggested anyone could not work a dimmer switch.
So if you don't think that there would be people there who couldn't work a dimmer switch, why did you make the point that "you need the maximum light possible"? If you work on the basis that people there would be able to work a dimmer switch, why would they not be able to work it to get the maximum light possible?

Should you not, if your position is based on logic and reason, be arguing against any form of switching for the lights, lest someone attempts to work in darkness?

Your other half won't thank you for cutting her fingertips rather than the onions because the lights were dimmed.
If she is wishing to cut onions, but accidentally cuts her fingers because the lights were dimmed, then why are you assuming that she was working in light which was too dim?

You've said it's not because you thought she couldn't work the dimmer switch - that is something you never suggested, so you therefore have full confidence that she could work it.

What is left, therefore, for the reason why she didn't work it?

Are you suggesting that she wouldn't know that it was there?

Are you suggesting that she would know it was there, would know how to work it, but would deliberately choose to work in dim light?

There is no getting away from the fact that you posited a scenario where she cut her fingers because the light was too dim.

What was your reason for assuming that she would be working in light which was too dim instead of doing something about the light?

You are arguing for the sake of it.

A kitchen is not a suitable place for a dimmer. End of.

You are arguing for the sake of it.
I'm arguing because you seem to think it is OK to come here and post nonsense, and not be able to present any justification for it.

A kitchen is not a suitable place for a dimmer.
Why isn't it?

What reason do you have for saying that?

You say it's not because people can't work them, so what else can be left except that you think they are unsuitable because people will choose to not work them?

Are we to take that to mean that when you wrote this:

Now we are back on topic please consider why you need dimmable lighting in a kitchen of all places. It is a work room with sharp implements and you need the maximum light possible. This is especially true with task lighting above a worktop from under the cupboards. Your other half won't thank you for cutting her fingertips rather than the onions because the lights were dimmed.

you had not one single reason for doing so, and that you realise you have been caught out writing completely reason-free things?

I'm arguing because you seem to think it is OK to come here and post nonsense, and not be able to present any justification for it.

It is NOT nonsense. I never post nonsense.

A kitchen is NOT a suitable place for a dimmer.

Why isn't it?

What reason do you have for saying that?

It is a work room. A place where sharp tools are used. A place which needs good lighting, not semi darkness.

It is NOT nonsense. I never post nonsense.

A kitchen is NOT a suitable place for a dimmer.
Assertions which you keep on making, but are never able to actually justify.

It is a work room. A place where sharp tools are used. A place which needs good lighting, not semi darkness.
So how does a dimmer switch prevent good lighting being provided? Why does it mean that the kitchen will be in semi darkness?

You simply are not going to be able to get away with this, Winston. Your whole premise is based on the idea that when presented with a dimmer switch people will choose not to turn it to get the light as bright as they need.

What is your REASON for claiming that?

I'm probably not going to keep on asking, lest your aim is to get the topic locked to remove a source of embarrassment for you.

Feel free to either put forward a cogent reason for asserting that if people have dimmer switches they'll never turn them up to full, or to continue to wriggle and evade or simply ignore in an attempt to make it not look like you have no such a reason.

Until then I think we can all safely assume that you saying people should not have dimmers because you think they will choose to not use them properly is nonsense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back