Undercoat round chimney breast, confirmation of facts please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just opened up a fireplace in the living room and need to replaster around it. A friend who was replacing the chimney pot for me said said I need to use a "washed sand and cement with integral waterproofer" instead of pb (bonding?). As a bit of a novice who has done several patching jobs very successfully with bonding and multifinish, could someone give me some more specifics on this job please?

I am aware the reason is because of how potentially damp the area could be. I have been looking on the net but have not been sure how to purchase "washed sand". Will I be able to get all of it at the local major diy store, or do I need to go to the builder's merchants? And is it a 3-1 mix, and do i mix it the same way that I mix a batch of ready prepared plaster, ie in a bucket with extension on the drill?

Dummy guide please?

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back