Undercoat

S

shelaghb

Could anyone throw any light as to why I am getting tiny bubbles in my undercoat. It is a Farrow and Ball undercoat. The tin has been stood for sometime, however I have given it a good stir. These bubbles do eventually disperse, but I dont understand why they are there in the first place. I have given the surface being painted a light sand down and wiped it clean. Any ideas please.

Thanks
S

Sponsored Links
What are you using to apply the paint?

Funny enough, today I was using FB egg shell over oil based undercoat and the paint kept breaking up with holes showing the White undercoat.

Ive never had this before, but I always use oil Based paint and I didnt realise FB paint was all now water based. So maybe it was because I used a oil based undercoat with a water based top coat?

A paint brush, and I made sure it is squeaky clean and dried it thinking it may be water. This tin says eco friendly undercoat and primer. Wonder if its because I am going over oil based - but I would have thought the sanding down would have eleminated any problems there.

Nope, I sanded down and cleaned as well.

Looks like we've had the same kinda problem.

I dont like FB paints anyway, but the customer wasted to use them. I find them well over priced for what they are.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying anyway XR. I will rub it down again and go and buy another brand.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow - you're stuck with yours!!

Apart from their extensive colour range Farrow & Ball paints or in my opinion both overpriced nd overrated, I think that both your problems stem from the F & B and not what lies beneath it.

Dec

That's what i thought, needs a second coat anyways.

Albany at brewers is great paint and the White and maggy elmusion at wickes is great paint.

F&B don't make any oil based paints now.

It sounds like its cissing and this would be caused by applying water based over oil based, the paint is failing to "film form". The undercoat needs wet abrading to key and remove any sheen.

Well I am not going to disagree with that but as you say when a paint film cisses it parts and breaks away, yet as these bubbles disappear I think that other factors could be involved.

Dec

My guess is that at some time a silicone multi-shine spray has been sprayed on the paintwork. Many people use them as a general cleaner. Sand it back hard and it'll be fine.

Good point, yet when cissing or crazing occurs the only cure is prep and a re paint yet these bubbles or whatever they are vanish of their own accord.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back