Undercutting a newel post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In laying a solid wood floor in my hall I need to leave a 12mm expansion gap around the periphery and have removed skirting boards in preparation
But, not knowing how the newel post at the foot of the stairs is "built into place" I am concerned about making a 15mm undercut on two (adjacent) sides of the post from safety and strength points of view.
Can anyone offer advice please? Undercut or use scotia? (I wanted to avoid scotia which is why I have removed the skirting and what a task that was!)
Thanks in advance . . .

Sponsored Links
Not knowing the newel section i would still say that, typically, you would be well able to cut as you propose. I presume that the newel is firmly fixed?

Next time, use a dremel, or similar, for undercutting your in-situ skirting or joinery - hire one and have a short practice before approaching the work.

Remember that the floor must not touch at any perimeter point.

Thanks for your advice Tim00.
The post is 9.5cms square and is sunk into the concrete floor but to what depth is not known. It does seem very firmly in place.
Is there any standard for the thickness of the wood on the riser of the stairs do you know? I have the same problem there (about undercutting) but as there cannot be that much left after taking out 12mm I am inclined to use scotia just over the width of the stairs.
The point about no peripheral contact is well understood.

No, there's no standard for the riser thickness, but do as you propose, pinning the scotia to the riser - paint or stain and pre-drill the scotia before fixing.

Sponsored Links
Your advice is much apreciated - I shall do as you recommend. Thanks for the input!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back