Underfloor heating bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at installing some electric underfloor heating under my bathroom floor tiles (yet to be laid)
The installation of the heating side looks OK, I just have a couple of queries re the electics side.

The instructions seem to say it can be run off either its own fuse spur in the fusebox, or can be wired into an existing ring main.

If I used an existing one which circuit should it be taken from - I assume upstairs sockets?

I'd prefer to run a new dedicated spur from the fusebox. There is a spare one, but the RCD fuse box is down in the kitchen, with the existing wires going up through some trunking within the kitchen wall. This has been plastered in now, so I'd rather not take it out and disturb the plaster in order to feed a new wire through. Are there any tools avaialble specifically for pushing a new wire up through existing trunking, or is it asking for trouble to mess with existing cabling behind a wall? I'm sort of thinking that if I can push a thin piece of plastic pipe up through the trunking with the existing wires I could then push a new cable up through the pipe?

Fianlly, are there any regs as regards the location of the heating element and wiring in the bathroom apart from the usual bathroom stuff of nothing over the bath?

Hope this makes sense - I'm sure I must have got some of the terminology wrong.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
one thing i belive you will have to do is lay a metalic grid above the heating elements which must be connected to supp bonding within the bathroom..

I dont have the regs to hand to check but im sure i read this in the OSG a while back.

Excellent.
I've had a look on the internet and found a fish rod which looks to be what I would need. Is that what you meant? There is also fish tape which is cheaper but I suspect I would have to pull rather than push which is what I think I'd need to do.
Sounds like just what I need.
Thanks
I will also check out the earth bonding - that would make sense though I dont remember seeing it in the installation instructions.

Sponsored Links
One more question that has come to light - in order to comply with Part P would the thermostat have to be placed outside the bathroom? From what I have read this seems to be the case, and would be impractical for us.

Are there any types of flooring anyone knows about that have thermostats that have been designed to be allowed in wet areas?

Thanks

kevin_robson said:
One more question that has come to light - in order to comply with Part P would the thermostat have to be placed outside the bathroom?
cant see how part p would prohibit this, i thought part p placed rules on who is allowed to do electrical work and sign it off . . . not on whether thermostats can be sited in bathrooms . . . :?:

Or are DIYers using part p as an excuse for everything these days? I mean, its not the be all and end all of electrical work! there are OTHER RULES, other than part p that you could quote that DO relate to this work! the actual electrical regs for example! :rolleyes:

OK then, are there any elecrical regs reasons why this can't be done. If so, are there any thermostats available that are waterproof and do allow this.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back