underfloor heating cock up-HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted econo underfloor heating beneath tiles in my bathroom, I ran the power cable to the thermostat, but have realised I haven't laid the sensor cable, which should be connected to the sensor is which is under the tiling. Does anyone have any ideas at all about how to overcome this or get around it so the heating works without taking up the tile, much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Is there an exposed edge to the tiling ?
Would it be possible to drill from the side a little way into the cement under the tiles ?
The sensor itself is fairly small - it's just the "bump" on the end of the cable normally. retrofitting like this, you wouldn't bother with the tube that is normally used to make the sensor replaceable.

your not the first , the only way
Round this , Is to check weather the wall
Stat supplied will work on air / room
Temp , instead.( most do ) easy way
To find out is to ring the help line
Number in the instruction manual
There normally spot on , hope this
Helps , good luck !!!

If you know EXACTLY where the heating wires are you MIGHT be able to drill down to the level of the heating mat and put the sensor vertically.

Do this behind the bath panel or other fixed item.

That will provide temperature sensing if the sensor is a small bead and not a cylinder shaped sensor.

It will also depend if the lead to the senor can be extended. If it is a thermocouple you will need thermo-couple cable to match the sensor. ( cable is two different metals )

This is HIGH RISK Drill in the wrong place and you will destroy the heater by cutting the wire or having the sensor shorting to the heater wire.

Sponsored Links
Depending on the sensor, it might just be possible to bury it in the grouting between two tiles. Apart from that, and the above comments, it looks like you're going to have to lift a tile - very, very, very carefully so as not to damage the heating wire.
You won't get the tile to lift - you'll have to carefully break it and take it off in bits. If you try and lift it, you'll rip up the cement, wire, and part of the insulation board - assuming the tiles are stuck down properly in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back