Underfloor heating - fuse and stat are getting hot !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had electric underfloor heating installed as part of my kitchen refit earlier this year. Now I'm starting to use it I've discovered an overheating problem. The fuse holder on the switched spur is heating up an so is the wall stat itself. This causes it to over-read the air temp and switch off prematurely. Within 30 mins the air readings jump from 20c to 25c despite the fact the floor itself has barely warmed up yet.

Facts are as follows:

- Kit consists of 1 x 10m2 mat + 1 x 5m2 mat @ 200w = 3kw. Both wired back to the stat.
- Resistance of mats checked by me & within guidelines (5m2 = 27ohms & 10m2 = 53ohms)
- Dedicated switch on consumer unit with 16a fuse
- Dedicated wiring from unit to switched spur with 13a fuse
- Current at the spur ~12a according to my clamp meter
- Fuse in spur heats up (plastic around fuse compartment is hot)
- Tried 2 different thermostats & both heat up and over read (back of stat is warm)

I can't understand what the issue is as all the readings seem to check out. I'm thinking of calling in an independent sparky to check the whole install but I thought I'l run it by you guys first in case anyone has seen anything like this before ?

Any pearls of wisdom would be much appreciated. Many thanks !

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the wires from the stat to the matts? They could be shorting. Could disconnect the matts and do some tests.

Have you checked the wires from the stat to the matts? They could be shorting. Could disconnect the matts and do some tests.

Thanks Berko. I've only checked resistances to far. What's the best way to check for that kind of thing with a multimeter ?

Sponsored Links
are you using the thermostat to switch the 3kw load???? what stat do you have? the only reason i ask is because i have seen some installations not using a dedicated UFH stat and the load was too great for a normal stat

the resistance is wrong = 80 ohms total is not correct for the other figures stated

12 amps with 80 ohms resistance equals total power of 11.5kw :confused:

However 240 volts at 12 amps does indeed give you 2.88 kw :D

240 volts with 80 ohms = 720watts :confused:

with the 3kw figure against 240 volts i would expect 20 ohms total resistance not 80

with the 3kw figure against 240 volts i would expect 20 ohms total resistance not 80

the mats will be wired in parallel so resistance won't be R1+R2 but
1 / ( 1/R1 + 1/R2)

1/ (1/53 + 1/27) = 18 ohms

P = V^2 / R
P = 240*240 / 18
P = 3.2 kW

if its getting too hot, then it can really only be caused by drawing too much current i would say. Is it drawing 12 amps constantly?

Wow - many thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and go into so much detail !

Apologies on the resistances - I'm quoting all the right numbers but not necessarily in the right order :) I measured the resistance across the cables for both mats but sounds like I got them the wrong way round - d'oh !

The mats are indeed connected in parallel. The tails from both mats come up into the back of the wall stat and are connected together into the same live and neutral terminals.

Both stats I have tried are definitely UFH specific and rated at 16a / 3.6Kw. The current one is a Warmup WIE.

All terminals are tight, I've checked all of them several times.

Thanks again for your time :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back