Magnets and electric cables/underfloor heating mats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all.

Stupid question. I'm putting some timber panelling in my bathroom but to fix to the wall will be using strong magnets (to allow for easy servicing of pipes running behind). My question is, if these magnets are near to an electric underfloor heating mat (inc. the fused spur, floor sensor, and mat itself), will the magnet field have any detrimental/dangerous impact on the electrics? They are neodymium magnets.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
will the magnet field have any detrimental/dangerous impact on the electrics?
Nope, you should be fine - the magnets won't be moving! :)

...magnetic field strength also drops quickly compared to distance - in an inverse square relationship.

Worse case is that a cable that is very close to a magnet with a stray magnetic field might vibrant enough to produce a very low level of 100Hz hum

Sponsored Links
Worse case is that a cable that is very close to a magnet with a stray magnetic field might vibrant enough to produce a very low level of 100Hz hum
Which is exactly what a loudspeaker is however they use Huge magnets and the multiple turns of wire have to be within the strong magnetic field in a gap of only #1mm between the poles. With the spacing between the magnets and cables bathroomin the and the low currents involved, I don't think it's likely to be any concern.

Having replied Bernards comment is quite valid in commercial situations.

there is a minute chance it may affect relays so avoid within a few inches off any controls or iff it starts playing up as you apply the magnets suspect a nearby magnet as first choice
also magnets can be useless at stopping slide so you need something solid to sit on to stop slide

there is a minute chance it may affect relays so avoid within a few inches off any controls or iff it starts playing up as you apply the magnets suspect a nearby magnet as first choice
I would think that would be iincredibly improbable in any domestic situation and, in any event, I don't think there is any question of 'controls with relays', since the OP has only mentioned concerns relating to "... if these magnets are near to an electric underfloor heating mat (inc. the fused spur, floor sensor, and mat itself)".
also magnets can be useless at stopping slide so you need something solid to sit on to stop slide
I suspect that the 'something solid' will probably be the floor (or perhaps a skirting board. I have done similar to the OP myself.

Kind Regards, John

Another possibility for holding things in place is velcro (Also known as hook and loop)
Available in sheets, pads, strips etc
The first google hit under vecro :
Shop around though.

Another possibility for holding things in place is velcro (Also known as hook and loop)
Available in sheets, pads, strips etc
The first google hit under vecro :
Shop around though.
Brilliant stuff, we use it extensively - generic brands are available:
Although, the adhesive has a habit of giving way a long time before the hooks and loops do!

Brilliant stuff, we use it extensively - generic brands are available:
Although, the adhesive has a habit of giving way a long time before the hooks and loops do!
Yes...
I've found that is the surfaces are suitable and correctly cleaned it lasts a very long time, my own experience of seeing the way different people use/handle the stuff goes hand in hand with the success of their workmanship.
Additionally I've learned to purchase proprietry brands, Velcro and Scotch spring to mind. We had to source some yellow loop pads and they didn't stick for very long at all, neither did the product from an Ebay seller who looked like the Ebay branch of a well known supplier sometimes quoted on here.
I stuck a paging loudspeaker on a wall before 2002 (when I was made redundant) and it's still there, the speaker failed 2019 and I carefully removed/repaired/rehung with no problem. To be honest it was a temporary solution knowing some building alterations were planned and I was surprised it was still there.

Our bath panel has been Velcro'd on for 5 years or more.

Don't use loads of it as it'll be nigh on impossible to remove the panel again!.

Refreshing to see some forward thinking over pipe access, I thought I was the only one!.

The proper Black Velcro has excellent adhesive properties on it's backing.

Refreshing to see some forward thinking over pipe access, I thought I was the only one!.
No, you're not alone. As I said, in addition to yourself and the OP, I've also 'done it' - fairly extensively and also to give access to a lot of other things in addition to pipes.

One little word of 'warning' - whilst Velcro (or good equivalent) is fine for wooden panels etc., there are potential problems with plasterboard (which I've seen people try to use Velcro on). For a start, if it is a fairly big bit of plasterboard and there's a fair bit of Velcro, the force needed to pull the 'panel' off can snap the board unless one is very careful (and sometimes even if one IS careful!). Secondly, the 'paper' on the back of the plasterboard can rip off when one pulls the board off. Magnets (plus some sort of 'vertical restraint') are (at least in my opinion) better with plasterboard.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back