Underfloor Heating in Bathroom (suspended Floor)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My first post, so if not in the correct topic feel free to slap me down and I'll move my post.

I've ordered a new bathroom suite so it's time to say good bye to my lovely Avocado suite! hurrah!

Anyway the main reason for my post is around UFH in a suspended floor. I think i have my plan sorted i.e Wet UFH plumbed into a radiator feed (Radiator will probably go as it' tiny and been installed inside a cupboard!) Using Kingspan laid on batons between the joists and using Aluminium Heat spreader plates. I think I have that part sorted in my head however I'm not sure what to cover the subfloor with. As I understand it's probably not wise to re-lay the existing floorboards as they're prone to twisting/distorting with the heat so was thinking of boarding it out, but then the insulating properties dawned on me. Would this just trap the heat under the floor. I'll probably tile over the boards.

I don't really want to screed it as half of the bathroom juts out from the house so essentially half of it is suspended outside (very weird and no sitting down heavily on the loo! :D) So I wouldn't feel comfortable adding loads of extra weight.

If the chipboard like boards are no good for the subfloor could anyone suggest an alternative?

Also, as I'll be taking the feed from an existing radiator do you think it would be possible to relocate the rad from inside the cupboard and replace with a towel rail rad AND the UFH? I'm not sure if this would put too much on the existing Central heating system. It's an old Worcester 24i Boiler.

Any advise would be very welcome.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back