Underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to pick your brains if you know or have experience with a house that has a combination of both radiators and underfloor heating. They are not two separate things with their own boilers, are they? It is all one system, isn't it? I am just looking into what boiler to choose that would be suitable for the combination of UFH and radiators. I believe condensing boilers are suitable for UFH but will they work with radiators at the same time as well? Could I go for any UFH make and any boiler make? Would they be compatible with each other and with radiators?

It is for a three bedrooms house. The whole house would have radiators (up to 5 including towel radiators) apart from first floor bedroom and kitchen on ground floor where I am hoping to have UFH both of which have timber suspended floor.
For the boiler requirements does the area of UFH matter? It may be as little as 19 m2 or 59 m2 total.
Could I disable the kitchen UFH if it gets too hot by e.g. cooking but keep the radiators and UFH in the rest of the house on?

Very grateful for any useful comments, suggestions, tips. Is it worth looking into heating skirting boards at all?

Sponsored Links
You need serious advice before you get something unsuitable.

Do you realise UFH takes hours to heat up and an hour to cool down?

By the time you decided the kitchen was too hot and turned it off and it actually had cooled then the cooking would have been finished and the food eaten!

Unfortunately free quoters will usually encourage anything to give themselves work even if its not the best option for you.

You need impartial advice!

Tony

Our house has mainly radiators. Currently only the bathroom has under floor heating, but I am planning to add more of it. There is no seperate boiler for the under floor heating; we just removed a radiator and connected to pipes running under the floor. It could be a good idea to have the under floor heating on a seperate zone if possible, maybe even 2 if you want to turn the kitchen floor off independantly.
I'm sure the area of under floor heating is important. You should do some calculations, or consult someone who can do them for you. Also it is not just the floor area but the amount of pipe in the floor that you need to think about. We obviously didn't include enough pipe in our bathroom floor because it doesn't get warm enough in there.
I have zero knowledge of condensing boilers so cannot comment on that.
I don't see why you can't use any make of UFH. Ours wasn't any "make". We just ran pipes in the floor.

Do you realise UFH takes hours to heat up and an hour to cool down?

I know but I am fed up with having my feet frozen all the time.

By the time you decided the kitchen was too hot and turned it off and it actually had cooled then the cooking would have been finished and the food eaten!

It's not just cooking. We are thinking to possibly have a wood burner there too.

Unfortunately free quoters will usually encourage anything to give themselves work even if its not the best option for you.

We intend to do the work ourselves. I just don't know what 'stuff' to get.

Thank you for your comments Tony.

Sponsored Links
Our house has mainly radiators. Currently only the bathroom has under floor heating, but I am planning to add more of it.

Good luck with the project.

... the amount of pipe in the floor that you need to think about. We obviously didn't include enough pipe in our bathroom floor because it doesn't get warm enough in there.

I am sorry to hear that.

Ours wasn't any "make". We just ran pipes in the floor.

Never thought of that ...!

Thank you for your reply and for sharing your experience. Much appreciated.

If you dont mind a slight noise, the fanned plinth heaters are very good for kitchens as they heat up in seconds and the heat input stops as soon as the fan stops.

UFH needs to b e carefully designed in relation to the heat requirement of the house.

My view is that you need very good professional help if you are not to make a mess of it and whilst rads can be replaced easily thats not the case with UFH.

Tony

hi

if the main reason for uhf is to get rid of the cold floor then consider electric uhf. it is much easier to install and control. as you are thinking of a wood burner that can be your main heat source.
Thank you for your tips.
Would electric ufh be safe in a room such as kitchen i.e. washing machine leaks etc?
The wood burner will probably be used only occasionally.

have a quick read here for wet uhf - click installation advice.

http://www.speedfit.co.uk/Home/Prod...ng/Fixing-Systems/SPREADER-PLATE.aspx[/QUOTE]
I had a quick look and will check it out thoroughly later as it looks quite well prepared a guide. Cheers.

If you dont mind a slight noise, the fanned plinth heaters are very good for kitchens as they heat up in seconds and the heat input stops as soon as the fan stops.

Thank you for the tip. Not sure what they are though. Do you have any links for them please? thanks.

hi

electric uhf is safe and effective when installed properly.

keep in mind that electric uhf WILL NOT heat the room - it will only remove the chill off the floor. you will need another heat source eithe via radiators or your log burner to warm the room.

good luck.

hi

>>electric uhf is safe and effective when installed properly.
ok, thanks

>>keep in mind that electric uhf WILL NOT heat the room - it will only remove the chill off the floor.
So hopefully it will not be too expensive either. I've read that elec. ufh is far more expensive than wet ufh. I suppose if I keep an eye on it and switch it off when happy with the floor's warmth I'll have the cost under control.

>>you will need another heat source eithe via radiators or your log burner to warm the room.
Oh thanks, that's very helpful to know.

>>good luck.
:) many thanks.

Hi, I am concerned if our kitchen will be warm enough. The kitchen has a rectangular shape with a rectangular dogleg. The dogleg part will have kitchen units in a 'U' shape so ufh will be just in the middle. The rest of the kitchen will have ufh all over except for two corners with the cupboards. Do you think I should consider installing a radiator as well or will the ufh be sufficient and kitchen warm enough? Thanks.

You will only need one boiler to do a combination of a radiator and UFH system. Usually a underfloor heating system will be controlled with a manifold if it is doing multiple rooms. Each room will be controlled by its own thermostat. One thing that will be required is a blending valve to keep the temperature of the underfloor heating lower than required by the dhw and radiators. Definitely seek competant professional advice for a system that will work properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back