Underfloor Heating Installation Methods

S

sturharv

I want to find out some info on installing underfloor heating to the first floor (i.e. joist construction). I know there are so many methods to install the pipework, what is your experience with the different method, what are the best and worst?

I know Osma and others do the foiled polystrene method, where the pipes run in channels in the insulation, although I have heard you need a lot of connections under the floor for this system as you need to install it with the pipes in the channels… is this correct?

I know lots of companies do the systems with heat emission plates, although some say you can hear them creaking when the floor heats up.

There is the system where you put a small biscuit screed down and lay the pipes in that, but this increases the weight on the floor which I am told increases the timber joist sizes.

Are there any good methods??!!

Sponsored Links
TBH, I don,nt know the Osma set up :oops: (mental note, have a look see).

I use the Polyplumb system. For yours I would imagine you intend raising all the floor (if fitted) and running in between floor joists. Then I would use the "emission plates", these do not make lots of noise on expansion when fixed to the joist correctly:cool: .

You will want to fit something in between the joist for insulation, for this I would recomend 50mm Kingspan, spreader plate on top, continuous pipe run in tracks passing through drilled holes in joists the finish with 22mm chipboard flooring. then finish with which ever floor covering you good lady should desire. ;)

PS, DONT make joints under the floor :eek:
If 100 meters of 15mm aint long enough the split area into two zones ;)

If you are thinking UF heating with joist construction then think solid "screed" .

Sponsored Links
If you are thinking UF heating with joist construction then think solid "screed" .

I aint seen this being done on a first floor with timber joist and plasterboard ceilings, would be interested to see a link or some drawings from yourself Balenza :)

Cannot give you any drawings though could find out the dimensions of the joists and spacings quite easily. (Brothers new build)
Plus I don't remember if the joists were beefed up and spacings the same or vice versa or neither. :(

Here is an image of a joisted floor with screeded sand/cement with UF heating.
The joists sizes are 200mmx50mm and standard 400mm spacings.
The spans have to be at a certain maximum though otherwise rsj's are required. The insulation is 40mm here but 25mm is sufficient.

PICT0001.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back