Underfloor heating on top of timber floor..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in the middle of a sizeable extension / renovation project, and most of our house has standard timber floorboards (30s semi-detached). Builder was going to put wet underfloor heating under the new extension and suggested we do the rest of the ground floor, but he's suggested we put it embedded in some kind of solid Kingspan-type insulation - and lay this on top of the existing floorboards.

I can't find any specific info on this online, and I'm wondering if / when it makes sense? We have airbricks at the front of the house beneath the floorboards so the floors are cold. I was going to put solid insulation underneath the floorboards before we put new flooring on top, but our builder suggests we shouldn't bother as his solution would be more effective.

What do people think? Is this a sensible way to install the heating? It would raise the floor around 30mm he says, which I can live with, but I want it to be effective given that a new set of laminate or whatever will make further changes much harder work later.

Sponsored Links
He's thinking of Lopro from Nuheat. I haven't used it, so can't comment, but this'll get you going. Has he used it before, and can you see a job he's done. What are you laying on top of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back