underfloor heating problems

Rothenberger-Rolot S2 are the best brazing rods available.
Cu - 92.8%
P - 6.3.

About £40 quid per kilo.

Silver can be added which of course increases the price and lowers the skill required to use them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tip.
I've done a fair bit of brazing to steel when I had a nice little oxy torch set up but they stopped supplying those oxy cyls a few years back. Silver I've used on m/c fuel tank repairs but not much else. Actually I think it was silver recommended for solar not braze. Possibly because of ease of use.
What torch do you use?

Well I stripped my gauges down and they cleaned up a bit but really replacement is the only option & as I said, put a filter in as well.

With all this phosphorus stuff etc e're getting off the thread here but... Re. brazing v's soft solder, I read somewhere that in some solar installs' the system can reputedly get hot enough to soften the solder = loose joints. Brazing is recommended in those cases.
I am intrigued in the "no black sludge in France" & the common use of copper brazing there. Is that your actual experience?
Acid flux is likely a major contributor to bad corrosion in our systems; we are supposed to flush it all out before commissioning & not blather it on excessively to start with!

A good insight here....
http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-forum/4045-plumbing-france-part-1-a.html

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tip.
I've done a fair bit of brazing to steel when I had a nice little oxy torch set up but they stopped supplying those oxy cyls a few years back. Silver I've used on m/c fuel tank repairs but not much else. Actually I think it was silver recommended for solar not braze. Possibly because of ease of use.
What torch do you use?

It wasn't intended as a tip, FB. Soft soldering is perfectly adequate. I've never yet seen a properly soldered joint that had leaked or come undone.

It was intended more as a note of caution about getting acidic flux residues into a system. The active flux saves the installer time, but will cause problems in years to come if not flushed out and neutralized.

Brazing causes more discolouration and distortion of the joint.

I once had a holiday job bench brazing water heaters using copper/phosphorus rods. No flux needed and quite easy once you'd got the hang of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back