Underfloor Heating - Programming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I know there are many debates about this, but I'd like to gain the practical experience of those running Wet Underfloor Heating.

Do you find it most economic to Heat 24x7 or have booting Temperature for just some parts of the day ?

I have aprox 250SqM of underfloor heating across 8 x Thermostats zones on the Ground Floor. Upstairs is all Radiators (24). The property is generally open plan with few doors closed between zones.

I have installed the Loop Energy monitor on the Gas to measure the Gas Flow Meter (Spinning wheels !!).
Gas Flow_Cost.PNG
Gas Flow_Cost.PNG

The Graph show Gas as a Line with hourly Dots. The vertical bars are Temperature is External based on postcode, not internal temperature and the Orange is Electricity but not accurate as only 1 of 3 phases.

It peeks twice a day as i have the heat at
- 21 C
from 4am -10am
and 5pm to 10pm​

at other times its at 17 C and hence the Screen slap is effectively retaining heat and slowly cooling.

It it rather better to keep it on 24/7 and then have lower Gas Flow rate per hour but for a longer time or operate it at peek times.

Given that it wet UHF with 75mm of screed, it has a slow warm up and cooling down coefficients.

Unfortunately, I ' have smart Room Thermostats yet, so cant graph all the rooms or control the Time/Temp on a per room basis. Though because the place is mainly open plan, i'm not sure the Timing of Temp per room would have much effect.

What are other people experience ?

Thx Bob

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back