Underfloor heating query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I wonder if anyone can give me a pointer on whats happening re the above.I have underfloor heating in a conservatory which runs from the house Central Heating system.I have located where the system is plumbed into the main house plumbing and there is a Gundfos pump which I presume activates when the Thermostat demands .I have never used the Underfloor heating since moving into this property but noticed after having a Worcestor Combi boiler fitted that the Ufloor heating works slightly...I guess its somehow pushing the hot water through the Ufloor pump.So heres the question ...does this seem about right ? and would it be possible to stop it, or even is it worth bothering to stop it ?.Hopefully someone has done this before and can help me,thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If the house has rads they are designed to work at about 70 C.

UFH is designed to work at a maximum of about 45 C.

It is usual in the UK to use a separate pump and a blending valve to lower the temp for the UFH from 70 C to about 40 C.

Does your system really have them?

Did you really have a new boiler installed and never asked the installer about using your UFH ?

Tony

Tony thanks for taking the time to reply.Youre correct the system does have a blending valve...just found the paperwork.No we didn't inform the installer ,my fault entirely.Do you have any experience of what is causing the problem and any ideas on a solution that would be helpful.
Regards Andy.......Thanks for the information I had no idea of the temperature difference between the two.

Andy, there is usually a manifold near/in the conservatory, something that looks like: UFH.png With a room thermostat for the conservatory only. In all honesty an image of your set up would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Morning Mike,I am in the process of decorating/altering the room adjacent to the conservatory and yes indeed under the floor in there is the pump/blender
and associated wiring which goes as you say to the conserve. thermostat.I just wanted to try and find a simple effective solution to the problem if there is one (beginning to doubt that).When the carpet is laid all the pump etc is obviously a bit inaccessible ,not the best idea the prev. plumber had.
Thanks for your reply

Building regulations, even back in 2006, required a conservatory heating system to have separate time and temperature controls. So there should be a motorized valve in the U/F circuit to control circulation (an unpowered pump will not provide this control as there will still be a path through the pump.

You haven't mentioned a motorized valve, so I assume there isn't one.

Mr or Mrs Hailsham Thanks for your reply ,I know nothing about UFH systems but your observations certainly make sense,thanks.I have yet to explore under the floor ,because I cant fit through the gap the installers made...I think Gandi must have been installing UFH at that time.I will try to widen the hole made in the floor in the future and look for the part you describe.Would it be a possibility to retrofit the valve .Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back