Underfloor heating question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there please can you look at this and tell me if i have got it right. HERE

As anybody got any ideas of how this would be wired. Cable to thermostat live neutral connected to ring main live and neutral. would i need to put in a switched fused connection unit so it would be ring main to switched fused connection unit to thermostat which would be the supply and then link in the load live and neutral i.e the underfloor heatin cable to the thermostat. This would be RCD protected.

Hope this is understandable.

Sponsored Links
My brother has a company installing electric underfloor heating so will ask him about the Penguin stuff. Never seen it before.

My memory of installing mine (nice toasty feet) in our last flat was:

Combined fused/RCD connection unit (cos no RCD at consumer unit) spur from ring main, going to thermostat which was switched by a temperature probe set in tile grout. My thermostat had a switch built in - but your FCU may need to have a switch if your thermostat doesnt. Thermostat wiring is just the same as for a FCU.

FCU is a must. And don't what ever you do cut any of the heater cable or it'll fail (unless it specifically says to do so.)

Location of probe (if its simply tile warming) or thermostat (if it's room) is V important. Are you tile warming or room heating?

Thanks for the advice. Phoned them up today. This is what they said. Spur of ring main with a non switched fused connection unit 2.5mm 2 core and E from there run 2.5mm T&E to the thermostat the cold tail end of the underfloor heating then runs into the thermostat and the wires are connected as expected. Live to Live, Neutral to Neutral and Earth to Earth.

the gent from penguin was very helpful on the phone, he did say though to work out what AMP fuse i will need as i am having quite a lot of wire.

You'll need to work out heat loss calculations as well if you're room heating so you get the right wattage. I seem to remember my T2 tile warming net was 80 watt/m2 - peanuts on its own but gets more significant the larger area you cover.

My brother had heard of Penguin but hasn't used the stuff.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that diyhell. I've contacted penguin again today, great service they stated that they do all of the heat lost calculations v's floor area.

Cheers.

Not sure - he contracts a lot to a Raychem/T2 ( see http://www.tycothermal.com/europe/english/heating/products.asp?can=1023&pt=brd&pdid=628 & http://www.tycothermal.com/europe/english/heating/products.asp?can=1023&pt=brd&pdid=627 )supplier so tends to use their stuff a lot - but he also reckons it's dead reliable. Sort of important if you've just layed tiles or a glued laminate floor over it... :)

Supposedly you analyse the warming up time, heat output and heat consumption stats to work out if stuff's any good.

Most of the shed stuff is not up to much - I join your campaign on this one Ban...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back