Underfloor Heating Systems - What calls for the boiler to fire and when?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, as a newcomer to the forum I've read the FAQ's and despite spending several hours reading around online I'm yet to have found an answer to my query(/queries), so my apologies if I'm asking the bleeding obvious or have missed an existing thread. Further apologies in advance for a lengthy post that could probably be summarised in far fewer words by someone more knowledgeable.

I'm looking into an underfloor central heating system which will be fitted to a new (yet to be specced/fitted) oil fired combi boiler... Whilst I will undoubtedly get the system installed professionally, my curiosity on how certain elements of the system work simply won't leave me alone.

I understand the mixing manifold regulates the temperature within the circuit, allowing water from the boiler as its required... obviously when the thermostat first clicks on the pump will kick into action, the boiler will kick into action, and water will flow from the boiler around the UFH circuit until it reaches the temperature set by the mixer, which will then recirculate the water as required within the circuit... this is where I have questions:

What temperature is the water from the boiler generally set to?
-If it's already set to the temperature required by the UFH system (e.g. 45'C) then why is a mixer manifold required?
- If it's set higher than the required UFH temp then once the UFH circuit is up to temp (and mixing manifold requires virtually no flow from the boiler), what triggers the boiler to stop firing? or is it constantly firing regardless of the mixer manifold so long as the room thermostat is calling for heating?

Amidst my many hours surfing and failing to find an answer to the above questions, I've stumbling across various comments of 'oil boilers aren't very well suited to UFH'... is there any credence/truth in this? or are they just throw away comments made without full knowledge?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Boiler temp will be set to about 70c. Then blender valve mixes it down.

Boiler will fire if a demand for heat remains via the room stat.

Many thanks... and what happens when the UFH system reaches operating temp and requires virtually no flow from the boiler? (but is still actively heating the room)

The boiler pump and ufh pump will keep operating and the boiler will cycle on and off on its own boiler stat.
When the room/s are up to temperature the room stat/s will turn all off.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Gas boilers modulate and keep running with as little as 10-33% of the maximum power input.

Oil boilers in domestic sizes don't modulate and therefore have to turn on/off when less than maximum power is needed which is most of the year.

That is less efficient than gas boilers which modulate and keep running.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back