Underfloor heating - what is this component?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved into a property with Rehau UFH (fitted new some years ago). One manifold downstairs and one manifold upstairs supplied by a combi boiler.

The copper flow/return pipe work adjacent to one of the manifolds gets quite noisy at times although this doesn't happen at the other manifold whose layout is the same. The noise is that noise you typically hear when water is passing through copper pipes - a sort of humming sound not a vibrating or rattling sound. It is quite loud though.

It happens when the circulating pump and the boiler pump are both running. I think it also depends on how many actuators are open but I haven't worked that out yet. I don't think it is a problem with either of the pumps because I have run them independently of each other and no noise is created.

I am wondering if it is anything to do with the device on the top left of the manifold (incoming flow from boiler connected to circulating return of UFH pipes). The Rehau manual describes it as a balancing valve but gives no guidance on adjustment or whatever. It has a removable cap on the front and that is a hex inside it. (By the way, the fitting is generally sound - that mess in the picture looks worse than it is - it's mostly paint splashes).

Any comments on the pipe noise/balancing valve adjustment would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• manifold.jpg
    manifold.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back