Underfloor heating with engineered wood floor - underlay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm installing UFH system with an engineered wood floor above and seem to be coming across some conflicting advice as to whether I should install and underlay between the UFH ane the engineered wood floor.

The UFH is nu-heat system DPJ 14 which fits between existing floor joists of the house in polystyrene panels with an aluminium heat transfer plate.

I assumed that an a thin, very low tog underlay would be needed to fill in any minor air gaps and take out minor imperfections in the top of the floor. As I understand it any air gaps should be avoided as they inhibit heat transfer.

However, I recently spoke to nu-heat and they said that an underlay was not be needed and it would be best not to have one as there should be as little as possible between the heat source and the floor. I can see the logic of this as and underlay might have some insulation effect even if it is only 0.33 tog or so.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this type of system and could offer any advice.

Thanks in advance, Will

Sponsored Links
Think about it differently!

What do you hope to gain by fitting underlay ( and reducing heat transfer ) ?

Tony

Surely you would only use an underlay if laying the floor on concrete? Joisted floors don't usually have underlay unless going over another existing floor layer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back