Underfloor Heating with Engineered Wood Flooring

CO2 increases global warming by absorbing radiated heat that would otherwise pass through the atmosphere and be lost to space.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Bernard. CO2 is considered a greenhouse gas because it acts as an insulator, and keeps the heat in. If it absorbed it, then we'd have a hot upper layer, and the surface of the earth would be normal. But's all crap anyway, just the normal cycle of the earth heating and cooling.

Whilst we may have a body temperature of 37C, the surface temp of the skin responds to it's surroundings, so feels hot or cold in relation to that.

Sponsored Links
CO2 is considered a greenhouse gas because it acts as an insulator,
It prevents heat escaping from the planet. The process is that CO2 molecules absorb the radiated heat energy and become warm heating the air around them. Hence the heat that was heading away from the planet is retained in the planet's atmosphere.

Hmm, I'm going to have to look into that a bit further; I can see where you're coming from now.

It is rather better to describe why CO2 has a different effect in the upper atmosphere than the oxygen and nitrogen.

Heat is radiated from the earth's surface as infra red radiation.

Infra red passes through small molecules of oxygen and nitrogen. But it is absorbed by larger molecules of CO2 and water. Actually the greater proportion of water has the more significant effect ( 60% ) but we cannot control the water content. The CO2 although only present in a very small concentration has a larger effect because of it's higher absorption. But we can control CO2 emission if we choose to.

Sponsored Links
Oh FFS!!!! We've got the Tree Huggers in now!!!
BG you spout some load of old drivel.

The highest surface floor temperature of UFH should be around 29C. However, the parameter of a room, with reduced traffic, can be at a higher temperature.

Most people wear slippers when indoors.

I always quote target floor temp as 30 C.

That's gives more direct heat transmission into the bare foot.

I take off shoes on entry and put them into the Japanese getabako [ 下駄箱 ] .

Then walk around in my socks from Sports Direct.

I don't wear any slippers.

Last edited:
I always quote target floor temp as 30 C.

That's gives more direct heat transmission into the bare foot.

I take off shoes on entry and put them into the Japanese getabako [ 下駄箱 ] .

Then walk around in my socks from Sports Direct.

I don't wear any slippers.

Sports Direct eh Tony!! Another endorsement from one of the top 100 engineers in the country.

I normally wear my Ugg slippers or a pair of Olive's sling backs - if she's away to the Bingo.

I don't wear slippers either and my floor temperature hovers around the high 29's we don't have a getabako in our genkan either.

Visitors are presented with a pair of slippers though normally.

Thinking about it, we kind of have a getabako, but it is not a proper one.

Although the genkan was built specifically for SWMBO including the outward swinging front door which catches the new delivery drivers every time.

Hint, if radiation heats air then how does radiant heat reach a person.

Radiant heat is an infra red radiation. Just the same as like radio waves it also passes through air or vacuum without heating it.

Otherwise the air would become very hot from the sun's heat and there would be no heat left at ground level.

It all seems very simple to me but like pressure and flow many are easily confused.

It gets worse when comparing with ionizing radiation.

The total lack of understanding makes people frightened of mobile phone masts. In practice they subject themselves to a higher field strength using mobile phones on their ears.

Then the same people think that microwave ovens irradiate food!

Pity schools don't teach a little more!

Thinking about it, we kind of have a getabako, but it is not a proper one.

It is the function that matters. It can just be a cardboard box!

Attachments

• Japanese shoes.jpg
    Japanese shoes.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Why do I get the feeling you are confusing conduction and radiation?
or maybe convection, the three methods by which energy can be moved. I cannot recall the name of the process whereby heat energy in one material is transfered to another material. Seem to recall it involves Brownian motion across the interface

or maybe convection, the three methods by which energy can be moved. I cannot recall the name of the process whereby heat energy in one material is transfered to another material. Seem to recall it involves Brownian motion across the interface

Next you will be getting confused by the Peltier effect!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back