Can you have painted floorboards with UFH?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have painted floorboards throughout our victorian terraced house. We are planning an extension which will make the back of the house a very large open plan space (roughly 7m x 7m). Without much available wall space for radiators, UFH looks like the best way to heat it. I've noted that there are floorboards and engineered wood floor options compatible with UFH but I can't find anything conclusive about whether painted floorboards are a no-no.
Anyone have any knowledge or experience of this?

Sponsored Links
Pegler claimed you could have anything as a covering for their wet ufh. I was going to have wood, but after reading up decided to go for stone.

Sadly all woods are good insulators, compared to tile/masonry/stone... so not the best for UFH, I'm sure you can, but not sure you'll get the best out of your floor, as the running temperatures of UFH are quite low... around 40°c ish I think.

Thanks Mr Chibs. Yeah, did a bit of reading and it's clear there are better flooring options in terms of thermal conductivity etc.
If it were just a separate room, like a self-contained kitchen, I'd definitely just go for a new flooring but because the front of the house flows through into the extension without break, I'm keen to keep the same flooring throughout. I'm more concerned about whether the paint is a bad idea with UFH, whether it's going to peel off or bubble, or make the wood even less thermally conductive.

Sponsored Links
underfloor heating is low temp, it will be fine with paint,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back