underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys
whats the preferences and reasons for the choice between warm water underfoor or electric mats? is it best to do underfloor downstairs and rads up ? or underfloor all the way ?? so many questions
possibly looking at a new build and curious to know which way to go ?
thanks

Sponsored Links
low temp wet system

as for what to use upstairs,depends on floor construction

I agree with icgs. As for upstairs(Bedrooms) it can be more difficult to control UFH in these rooms & some people don't even like their Bedroom heated!! So a radiator zone on the first floor may be the best choice.

You'll not regret fitting UFH, it makes for a lovely comfortable homely house.

Sponsored Links
It's all about running costs, a complete house on electric UFH is not economic to run.

Always fit nat gas if there's a service available, don't be taken in by the 'snail oil' heat pumps etc......Get gas!!

If you want to save the planet, stick a solar panel on your roof, that'll heat your hot water for a large part of the year.

dont get me wrong if i can do good for the planet then thats good. but first and foremost is my family and my pocket. didnt think of solar. does that work out pricey.? obviously you have to think about sizes etc . but in comparison. say a normal 3 bed semi. could you heat the whole house with solar for the times of the year when we need it here ( say 9 months in this bloody place) for more or less pennys than a normal boiler .. lets say ufh down and rads upstairs
new here so sorry for all the questions . but its easier than getting off my arse :LOL:

That a common falacy!

Solar only gives some heat to the hot water for a few months and most of the heat for about three summer months.

Just HOT water not heating.

Its obvious if you think about it. We need heating in the winter when there is little sunshine and even when there is its only for a few hours of the day. You cannot store enough heat to provide heating overnight unless you design a heat store into the foundations before the house is built and it occupies a complete floor.

Tony

I agree with Tony.

If you have a south facing or even a SSW or SSE facing roof elevation, it's well worth the extra dosh to fit a solar panel, of all the greenwash products it's the best.

Gas supply, UFH, a good well insulated house & a solar panel, you'll save a fortune on heating bills. Put as much insulation into your new home as you can afford & don't forget ventilation, you need to get the moisture out & keep the heat in.

UFH is so comfortable, once you have lived in a house with UFH, you'd never want anything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back