Underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I may at one point want to install underfloor heating retrospectively. I was wondering whether anyone could answer the following questions:

1. There are natural stone tiles in the kitchen/hall. I want to install underfloor heating that is connected to the central heating (i.e. using hot water), not electrical. I know that I would have to remove the stone floor and dig out the concrete floor. How deep would I have to dig? (I seem to remember reading somewhere 20-25 centimetres. Is that right?) Also, how much would that cost for approx. 15 square metres? (I live in London SE17.)

2. I may want to convert the garage into an additional room & install underfloor heating there as well. The garage is about 17 centimetres lower than the hall/kitchen. Would that be enough, or would I still need to dig deeper? (Again - I don't want electrical underfloor heating.)

3. How much is it to install underfloor heating (labour + materials) per square metre?
(It's a total of around 32 square metres: 15 for kitchen/hall plus approx 17 for the garage.)

I don't want to have this done anytime soon - I just want to know how much it would cost.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
No idea about the insulation.

As for prices, I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

A small ballpark:

Municipal%20Ballpark.jpg

A big ballpark:

rangers2720ballpark1.jpg

And yes - I appreciate the irony of the inverse picture sizes.

You need a site visit from someone who can give you proper advice and prices. There are too many variables and system types to give you much advice from the information you have given.

Sponsored Links
Stick with radiators . underfloor more trouble than it is worth.
And with what you save have air con installed for the summer. :)

I would suggest something like £48 per sq m but excluding the final floor covering.

That's based on 75 mm of insulation and a screed containing the heating pipes. With a lot of scaling to 32 m2

Rads including pipework and installation about £300 each BUT based un pipework being surface mounted or under wooden floor.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back