Underfloor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 4.5m x 2.5m Conservatory - heating it nicely with a 3kw Convector to a steady 20 degrees, burning money of course, but only use it as a Dining room morning and evening, so not breaking the bank yet.

Roof is double-glazed, 2 x glass walls and 2 x brick walls (corner of house).

My question is, what is the best insulation for under the floor?

Will insulating the floor make a real difference ?

The floor itself is raised on wood joists above the existing concrete with green chip as the actual flooring, no underlay, thin carpet. Is it feasible to just drop in some normal loft insulation or is there a better option ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you use rock wool and it gets damp under the floor then it will just become a big soggy mass with no insulation properties at all best use expanded polystyrene or even better extruded polystyrene... Having said that you will find that there are few gains to be had by insulating the floor because most of the heat goes out through that roof (Heat rises) and there is little that you can do about that.. I would suggest that you looked at a cheaper means of heating.. Obviously being an aircon man, I would suggest the use of a heat pump which would give you a ratio of 1 Kw of electricity in to about 3.5 to 4 Kw of heat out (dependant on outside conditions) plus you can cool your greenhouse in the Summer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back