Underfloor Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hope you can help warm my extension up...

The situation is, i moved into a flat with a brick built conservatory, that is a cheap extension with a plastic roof. we have upvc double glazed windows (2 large windows 6ft x 3) and a upvc sliding door.

We recently had the roof replaced with a tiled roof and insulated. The walls have a cavity in.

Seems to be cold all the time and in the winter a 7ft radiator cant keep it warm.

I think the floor is just a simple wood floor over a very slim cavity with mud/**** underneath. I think this may be where the cold is coming from so any ideas of what i could do without spending thousands.

Sponsored Links
You should have the floor up and get some insulation in there as as priority. (Is there a damp proof membrane under this floor?)

Also consider underfloor heating, electric mat. Depends on the size though, it's not really cost effective for large areas.

The large glazed areas will be letting out loads of heat in any case.

Are the wall cavities insulated? Not usually done with conservatories (cos of all the glass)

i dont know if there is a damp proof membrane as i have not had all the floor up yet, there is a small hatch in one corner that i can lift and see ground, no membrane though

the room is 4.5m x 3.5m and as such is a little pricey to put any underfloor heating in

i doubt the walls are cavity insulated

what do i need to do to insulate under the floor and what materials should i be getting?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back