Underfloor leak - Cap off central heating leaving just hot water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a leak somewhere under the concrete floor in my open vented system and get air gurgling through when the hot water fires up as well as some trickling topping up into the header tank. With the heating system being about 40 years old I’ve decided to get it completely re plumbed in a few months along with a new boiler.

In the meantime my knackered immersion heater has seized in the tank so I can’t just turn the boiler off and the water supply to the header tank.

I have two options in mind:

1) Cap flow and return on heating side leaving the existing bleed vent on each, effectively as the end of flow and start of return.

I assume the heating should also be disconnected from the controller too in case the boost button is pressed.

2) Still disconnect heating electrically then bypass the rads by connecting flow/return in the loft with a Hep2O push fit flexi pipe, again leaving an existing bleed vent. It wouldn’t be running at all, just providing a means of bypassing the heating leak and bleeding the remaining system.

Whatever gets me leak free hot water for the easiest really.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
you are way over thinking this, what system do you have ? is it S plan or Y plan ?

just cut and cap the CH flow and return and take the orange wire from the CH zone valve out from the wiring centre and make it safe as it will become live when the HW is selected , simple as that

Sponsored Links
just cut and cap the CH flow and return and take the orange wire from the CH zone valve out from the wiring centre and make it safe as it will become live when the HW is selected , simple as that

Great, thanks

Did this today, sorted - thanks (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back