Underfloor Treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking into ways to sort out a smelly / musky problem I have in my house which comes from the damp earth solum under my house. The first thing I am doing is installing more air bricks to help the situation, but I'm not convinced that this will be enough.
I've attached a detail showing the existing situation and how I'm proposing to seal the underfloor, which I'm proposing in conjunction with more air bricks. My main concern is the bricks I am proposing to paint with bitumen are damp because they are below ground. Will the bitumen seal the water in the brick and cause long term problems?
Also, one of my floorboards has just been punctured by the bed post, will this deterioration be caused by dry rot? If so what can I do?

thanks,

Attachments

• HOUYSE DETAIL.pdf
    7.4 KB · Views: 206
Sponsored Links
First thing to do is get the boards up and then post some pics - could be rot or woodworm

I'm looking into ways to sort out a smelly / musky problem I have in my house which comes from the damp earth solum under my house. The first thing I am doing is installing more air bricks to help the situation, but I'm not convinced that this will be enough.
I've attached a detail showing the existing situation and how I'm proposing to seal the underfloor, which I'm proposing in conjunction with more air bricks. My main concern is the bricks I am proposing to paint with bitumen are damp because they are below ground. Will the bitumen seal the water in the brick and cause long term problems?
Also, one of my floorboards has just been punctured by the bed post, will this deterioration be caused by dry rot? If so what can I do?

thanks,

Do the air bricks and investigate the rot first.

That may be enough and it is a lot of hassle to lift all the boards...

is the flooring boards (planks of wood) or is it chipboard?

Probe the rest of the floor with a flat-ended screwdriver (nothing with a round point as the marks will look like wormholes) and see if you can make it sink in.

Sponsored Links
In you sketch, the air bricks ventilate the room and not the woodwork or the solum. They need a DFA (Different Flipping Arrangement).
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back