Underfloor troubleshooting, four zones, one room cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am having problems with my underfloor heating. I'm in a 2 year old rental house and since we moved in, always one of the rooms remains cold. When I manage to get that one to heat up, the room next to it, that was previously warm, goes cold! There are four zones each with their own wireless sensor. I am unfamiliar with the terminology for underfloor heating (manifolds and all that) so it is very difficult to find out what's wrong from online forums. I would be so grateful for some help please! Obviously the underfloor heating works in all rooms as they have all got warm at some point, but just not all together. The floor in the unheated room is freezing.

Sponsored Links
wooden floors, or concrete?

Is there carpet?

thank you... floors are engineered wood, no carpet throughout

Sponsored Links
thank you, attaching 2 pics now..

Attachments

• boiler.jpg
    boiler.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 204
  • maniforld.jpg
    maniforld.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 215
no obvious pump on the right... just the copper parts of the pipes (one of which can be seen)..... what would the pump look like?

So boiler directly feeding the UFH.

With the controller can you heat all four pairs of rooms only?

On the top manifold there are probably flow monitors, can you see something there which indicates the flow rate?

Tony

Thank you Agile... forgive my ignorance please... by 'controller' do you mean the boiler? There is a portable wireless sensor in each of the four rooms which sets the temperature, but it rarely heats up much unless the temperature on the boiler is quite high.... The four glass flow things on top of the manifold are at the top, but go down when I fiddle with the settings on the digital display in the same cupboard. By putting the boiler temperature to the MAX, I have managed to make the floor in the cold room mildly luke warm, but this means that the other rooms are now much too hot..... in any case they are usually much hotter than the temperature on the room sensors.. the whole system seems to have a mind of its own... but I'm obviously missing something!

Sounds like boiler turning off too quick if set at 55. Which it should be for u/floor depending on floor design/ screed etc.

There should be an adjustment so that you can set the flow indicators in any position.

About half way might be a good starting position.

Tony

Thank you.... so what is the best temperature to set it on the boiler at? The flow indicators (I presume you mean the glass container type things?) go up and down .... should they go down when the heating signal is on? So I need to keep them down in that midway point somehow?

Best temperature is the lowest that gives you enough heat output. But that may well be 45 C or higher. Never set it higher than 55 C though.

The floor covering maker may have advice on max temps but I would want to keep it below 45 C if it was mine.

The flow meters may have a scale on it. With all off you can see the position, usually at the bottom.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back