Underfloor Ventilation - Airbrick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have been informed by a surveyor that the single Airbrick I have in the bay of my 1900s Terrace is not adequate ventilation for my suspended wooden floor. Would you be able to help with these questions:

- Does anyone know the calculation for ventilation per airbrick?
- Would an additional Airbrick beside the current one, meet my needs?
- Can you fit an airbrick from the outside only, without pulling up the floor?

By the way, it is not a cavity wall.

Hope someone can help. :(

Alastair

Sponsored Links
most have the free space stamped on them if not mesure the holes and add together

yes

i suppose you could but it should be sleeved through the wall :D

If you are in a through terrace and not a back to back you would be better fitting another airbrick at the back so it will help to draw airflow straight through the building. If you only have the front external wall then fitting another will certainly help and it can be easily fitted from outside by just removing a brick and replacing it with a suitably sized airbrick and bed it in and point up as normal.

Sponsored Links
It might be worth raising the question to the surveyor about the properties of the air brick,ie,if at present you have clay bricks,ask about getting them changed to the plastic ones,I appreciate that they dont look no-where near as good but the ventilation from a plastic air brick is almost twice of that from a clay one.
DazB is spot on regarding the air brick at the raer(if you havent already got one)this will give you plenty of cross ventilation which underground floors really need!!!
Hope it all works out
SD carps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back