underground gas main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, just got a question for anyone kind enough to reply. I've laid a new gas main ( yellow poly-pipe) down the driveway of my building project. The driveway is 32metres long and i've used a 25mm pipe which will supply a boiler and a gas hob via the meter. Is this okay? I heard the diametre of the pipe depends on pressure over distance....?

Also, as it is a new connection, the end of the yellow pipe sticks out of the ground at the end of the driveway. I've heard that as this is off my property, the connection to the public main should be free and that I should only have to pay for the meter installation. Is this right?

thanks for your time - will

Sponsored Links
One thing is for sure, there is not public main, so I doubt the connection will be free. I also doubt national grid will accept your pipe without asking questions.

How did you calculate the size of that gas pipe?

Where will the meter be fitted?

Are you gas safe registered for fitting pipework?

Tony

Agile show me any reg that says to lay a service pipe corgi/gassafe comes into it.....or are you guessing as usual

Sponsored Links
I have to agree as I see labourers from Morrisons etc lay service pipes on most sites I work on.

Albeit they are tested by a competent person afterwards.

Pete

They are also laid to a standard as well, certain depth, embedded in sand etc.

DIA There used to be but depth has now gone and how do you lay a pipe on sand that has been moled

Whilst anyone can place a pipe in the ground thats not much use unless someone has connected both ends to something.

Furthermore, a compenent person needs to calculate the required pipe size.

I would also be surprised if Nat Grid or whoever would connect a gas meter after a service pipe laid by the property owner unless they had previously agreed to that.

As for a free connection to the street main....

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back