Replacing lead water main - what are my options?

Just spoken to my water supplier, Thames Water. They said that T.W. would test my supply for lead levels (for free) and if the result came back as 'unacceptable', they would replace the lead pipe that runs between the road main and the first stopcock - the communications pipe - in the pavement at end of my drive. If the test came back as 'satisfactory' they would not replace said section for free although I could pay them to do it anyway.

The section of lead pipe that runs from the first stopcock onwards, (and also by far the longest section) is entirely my responsibility. T.W. will have nothing to do with it (and therefore make no charges) unless, as Agile inferred in post#12, the pavement needs to be disturbed to reconnect the new pipe that I have replaced. T.W. would charge for reconnecting this section of new pipe to the first stopcock if the pavement has to be disturbed.

Here's the lead pipe replacement form:
http://www.thameswater.co.uk/tw/common/downloads/your water/Lead_fact_pack_A4_form_WEB.pdf

Sponsored Links
Just queried the on line quote for 1600. It was to replace the lead from the main to the stopcock as well as reconnect a pipe from my side. doh.
Actual cost just to connect a pipe from lead to plastic is £500. A lot better :)

Don't know what part of the country you're in, jammy, but worth asking your water supplier about the lead levels testing I mentioned in post#16. Could save you £1100 if they're willing to replace their 'communications pipe' free of charge.

Where is your external stopcock in relation to the property boundary? Secondly, the lead test can vary according to the hardness of the water. In hard water areas the pipe often has a layer of limescale internally that has built up, which forms a natural protective coating inside the pipe.

Just queried the on line quote for 1600. It was to replace the lead from the main to the stopcock as well as reconnect a pipe from my side. doh.
Actual cost just to connect a pipe from lead to plastic is £500. A lot better :)

Don't know what part of the country you're in, jammy, but worth asking your water supplier about the lead levels testing I mentioned in post#16. Could save you £1100 if they're willing to replace their 'communications pipe' free of charge.

Cheers. I've had the testing done and it wasn't high enough. About 2/3 of the max levels, the chap phoned me before hand and asked us not to use the water for a couople of hours before he arrived.
Might have been higher if it had been left in the pipe overnight.

Sponsored Links
Where is your external stopcock in relation to the property boundary? Secondly, the lead test can vary according to the hardness of the water. In hard water areas the pipe often has a layer of limescale internally that has built up, which forms a natural protective coating inside the pipe.

Indeed, I also understand that to be the case and I live in a very hard water area.

Cheers. I've had the testing done and it wasn't high enough. About 2/3 of the max levels, the chap phoned me before hand and asked us not to use the water for a couople of hours before he arrived.
Might have been higher if it had been left in the pipe overnight.

On the one hand, it's good to know you haven't been consuming too much lead but on the other hand it will cost more to replace all the lead piping.

I've arranged our lead levels test for next week. I'm hoping for a low result, I think?!?

some areas still have a lead replacement subsidy, or, if you replace your own lead, will replace their own lead (if any) on the service pipe, which can cut the effort and cost of making the connection. It does vary a lot between water co.s. Look up their web page or ask for the leaflet. The results of the lead test will be relevant and must be taken before you start work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back