Lead Pipe Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently having a bungalow renovated and it's been noted that the water supply is coming into the property via a lead pipe. Although people say there isn't too much to worry about with lead pipes....whilst I have building works going on I may as well replace this pipe at this stage.

The pipe runs under a concreted driveway down to the water meter.

I understand the water board will only authorise the work once it is done and connect from the pavement to the mains.

What is the simplest way of digging up the lead pipe? (or if it can't be located can I leave it and just put a new pipe down)?

Would I be able to hire a disc cutter to cut through concrete max.4" deep (how difficult is it and how many blades would be required)?

Do I just follow the lead pipe entry into the bungalow up through the walls so as to keep holes to a minimum?

What type of water pipe is required....plastic? diameter?

What needs to be laid under / over the new pipe before block paving the driveway?

How can I be sure that the pipe connection from water meter to mains is lead free also?

Any advice to the above or anything I've not thought about would be appreciated. Thx Karen :?:

Sponsored Links
All closed question can be answered with yes.
Oversize the pipe, 35 mm, as it will cost pittance more, and you never know what future needs may be.

I don't know how much of the work you want to do litterally yourself, but I would advice you to leave the angle grinding part to somebody who knows how to do it.

I'm currently having a bungalow renovated and it's been noted that the water supply is coming into the property via a lead pipe. Although people say there isn't too much to worry about with lead pipes....whilst I have building works going on I may as well replace this pipe at this stage.

The pipe runs under a concreted driveway down to the water meter.

I understand the water board will only authorise the work once it is done and connect from the pavement to the mains.

Under the Lead Pipe Replacement Scheme you only need run your supply pipe as far as your boundary, they will connect a new pipe in from there to the meter free of charge and replace any other lead outside your boundary that supplies your property. If you use a Water Industry Approved Plumber then they can self-certificate the work so no inspection from the water undertaker (authority) will be required.

What is the simplest way of digging up the lead pipe? (or if it can't be located can I leave it and just put a new pipe down)?

Simplest way is with a mini digger (like a small JCB), but you can leave it in if you like. Scrap value isn't too shabby at the moment though...

Would I be able to hire a disc cutter to cut through concrete max.4" deep (how difficult is it and how many blades would be required)?

Yes, but would you want to? They're pretty powerful things, if you're not used to and trained in using one they're also good for removing limbs... As for how many discs you'll need, no idea, you've given no information on the length of your drive or the grade of concrete laid

Do I just follow the lead pipe entry into the bungalow up through the walls so as to keep holes to a minimum?

Assuming it's at regulation depth then yes

What type of water pipe is required....plastic? diameter?

Blue MDPE. Minimum 25mm, 32mm if you've got a big house or think you might want a better supply

What needs to be laid under / over the new pipe before block paving the driveway?

Encase it in sand to prevent sharp stones attacking it when you fill the trench in again

How can I be sure that the pipe connection from water meter to mains is lead free also?

See info re: Lead Pipe Replacement Scheme earlier

Any advice to the above or anything I've not thought about would be appreciated. Thx Karen

Pipe must be laid at a depth of between 750mm and 1350mm
[/b]

Sponsored Links
...Under the Lead Pipe Replacement Scheme you only need run your supply pipe as far as your boundary, they will connect a new pipe in from there to the meter free of charge and replace any other lead outside your boundary that supplies your property. If you use a Water Industry Approved Plumber then they can self-certificate the work so no inspection from the water undertaker (authority) will be required...

Does that work for London as well?
If so, where do I find details?

Apologies for hijack. :oops: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back