Underground Leak......help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been told that i have a small leak in the central heating pipes, (which are laid in concrete)because the boiler keeps loosing pressure and all other avenues have been looked into.
How can i find where this leak is coming from, and is there any product i can hire that will do the job?
Please help...getting very desperate to solve this problem.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can hire a kango hammer and then you will be able to break up all the concrete to expose the pipework and then look for the leak.

Tony

If they are copper pipes - it is not a very good idea to bury pipes in the screed. You may just be unlucky with the one leak, on the other hand this could be the start of a real problem which could mean repeated leaks elsewhere. :cry:

When you expose the pipe check to see if it is protected with plastic sleeving or thick impregnated tape with a plastic membrane (Denso Tape). The protection must be continuous. If you don't have these the pipe is at risk of electrolytic and / or acidic corrosive attack and further problems are fairly likely to occur.

If the pipes do need total replacement either take them out of the screed, install them pipe in pipe or if you can't make sure they are adequately protected from corrosion and avoid joints wherever possible in the screed.

To find the location of the leak get your plumber to carry out sectional testing (pressure testing of individual sections) to narrow down where the leak is.

You may also be able to narrow it down with a moisture tester or an infra red detector would do the trick if the heating system is operational. These can be hired but they are a bit expensive.

What type of floor covering have you got? Can it be lifted? Might be able to see damp patch or efflorescence. You can also get electronic dampness meters which can pick up increased moisture in brickwork, screed etc.

Unfortunately with water the evidence of a leak can occur at some distance from where the leak actually is.

There are also leak sealers eg by Fernox. I have no experience of these. Perhaps some others could say whether they are worth a try.

Agile's solution is a bit extreme but it might be the last resort if you cant narrow the search.

Sponsored Links
for about 150 you can hire a thermal imaging camera this will show you where the leak is if thepipes are running under the concrete

maybe cheaper that smashing up yer floor

Infra red detector? please tell me more! How does it work and where can I hire one? :eek:

well you can see where a leak is as it shows the heat, so if your heating pipe is leaking under the screed you will see it.

or try here I have just checked on the IPHE web site and they are talking about tis very thing

http://www.munters.co.uk/

apparently they do leak dtection so **** the TIC and try these

littleroy- ignore me it's been a long day - meant thermal imaging camera :oops:

Infra red detector?
Actually there is such a thing - an infra-red thermometer, quite cheap (£30?) from toolstation and others. You could use it to track the buried pipes (when running hot). Where there were leaks you would notice a different thermal pattern around the pipe. In any case there's a good chance you could feel the damp in the screed, so you definitely don't need to throw loads of dosh at the problem.

can't you try push some plastic 10mm pipe through the old copper and use the plastic to carry the water to this one rad.

You also have built in heat and dampness detectors which might be sensitive enough. Two in the front of your head and two at the end of your arms .

thanks for your responses :) I was trying to find a way of doing it myself but cant seem to find the equipment for hire, so it looks like i will have to get a company in to do it for me.....any suggestions on which company who wont rip me off in the London area?? is this possible....i live in hope :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back