Underground Oil Tank Cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help. I'm doing a self build project in Staffordshire that has no access to mains gas. I'd like to go with an underground oil tank rather than above ground or air source heat pump. Can anyone give me a rough idea of the cost of an underground oil tank including full installation? A 1,400 litre size which will be buried under the lawn about 7 metres from the house. There will be no heavy traffic above the tank.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
You will probably change your mind when cost and conditions are taken into acount.
Do you have building reg approval.

Our planning permission includes for the tank to be buried but I haven’t had building regs drawings done yet.

I can imagine it’s not cheap but a rough idea of cost would be helpful at this stage

2.5 - 3.5k for tank and fittings.
Plus ground work.
Plus concrete to encase tank .
Plus labour.
There will be a Turret protruding
Above ground level.

Sponsored Links
Probably about £6k supplied and fitted. You'd be much better off going for LPG. Much cheaper install costs and can also be cheaper to run if you have the right boiler and controls setup

Probably about £6k supplied and fitted. You'd be much better off going for LPG. Much cheaper install costs and can also be cheaper to run if you have the right boiler and controls setup

I've not looked into LPG and don't know anything about it. Can the LPG tanks be buried underground and if so are they cheaper? Also do they allow us to use a standard gas combi boiler or would I need a specific LPG boiler?

An idea of overall cost would be helpful if you know it.

Thanks

yes the LPG tank can be buried, some suppliers will supply and install the tanks for free, you would have to contact them and ask, most modern boilers cab be converted to run LPG very easily, many can be bought straight from the box as already converted to run on LPG

Bounce Flogas and Calor off each other until they give you the best price. If you do have to pay, it should be no more than £1000 to have the tank supplied and fitted for you, including running a pipe to the house. If you're thinking of a combi boiler then LPG is definitely the way to go - oil-fired combi boilers are horrible.

Can the LPG tanks be buried underground

Yes but there are strict conditions that have to be complied with as to location and access for deliveries

From the Calor Web Page

• The turret of your tank must be at least 3m away from buildings, boundaries and fixed sources of ignition. The excavation must also be 2m away from any buildings.
  • Your tank cannot be sited directly underneath electrical power cables, and no services can pass through the excavation, including water pipes.
  • We recommend using the excavated material, with any sharp stones removed, as backfill once your underground tank has been sited.
  • Your tank must be accessible for deliveries – this requires a minimum access road and gateway width of 2.75m, safe access for our driver to get from his vehicle to the tank and direct line of sight for the driver to be able to see his vehicle whilst he is standing at the tank.
  • Once your LPG tank has been installed; the land above the tank may be turfed, shingled, etc; although no continuous concrete or tarmac covering can be used. The area immediately around your tank should remain clear of debris, overgrown vegetation and fixed sources of ignition such as barbecues.
  • Your underground LPG tank requires a trench of a minimum depth of 600mm and minimum width 200mm for the underground pipework to be installed. Any cables or other services must be separated by 250mm from the LPG pipework.

That would be my preferred option normally. However, the garden is small and it would be much better to have it as lawn.
Thing is you will have a turret in your lawn, so wont really be a lawn, with LPG you will still need a turret but not as obtrusive , or you could build a lean to somewhere and get a 2x2 bottle lpg system installed, you have a few options, get a local lad in to discuss what your options are

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back