Underlay silver vs gold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Going to lay some 12mm laminate soon, mostly on suspended floor but some will be on concrete subfloor.

Looking online I'm keen to get the 3mm foil backed foam insulation (sonic gold). The thing thats throwing me is there is a 3mm silver foil backed foam insulation thats a fair bit cheaper (£8 per roll and I need 5 rolls). On the ebay listing it says the gold is better for insulation. But if they're both 3mm, I don't get how. Can't imagine the foil is any different other than the colour. Any thoughts? Links below.

Silver:

Gold:

Also, I hear its foil side down, but how do you fit the tape to it in that instance? Lay it sticky side up underneath on the join??

Thanks all

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Both are cheap rubbish imo. Go for Timbermate excel. Best underlay on the market and the laminate will feel great to walk on.

Both are cheap rubbish imo. Go for Timbermate excel. Best underlay on the market and the laminate will feel great to walk on.
I’ve got it in one room and it’s been ok. That timbermate looks to be 5x the price. Not really in my budget and we are redoing the floors with a view to selling on so won’t really see any benefit spending that much money. If it was going to be my home for ages then I’d probably consider it.

How does it feel different? At 12mm laminate I’m guessing you don’t want it flexing much.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back