Underlay under oak. Aveolit or Celotex ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to float some 15mm engineered oak on a solid concrete floor. I would like to lay an underlay to reduce the chill on the floor. I assume most will use Timbermate excel or similar but surely a 3mm thick underlay will not make much difference ?

I am considering using 10mm Alveolit or 12mm Celotex but am concerned that this will make the floor bouncy. Marmox looks ideal but at £12/m2 is too expensive. Would insulation, then 6mm ply then oak help?

I am limited to 15mm oak plus a 20mm max underlay thickness due to external door thresholds.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Marmox is expensive but comes in 6mm thickness upwards to around 30mm or more and you can bond it to the concrete with tile adhesive making you floor really solid and no bounce.

Floating celotex or similar is bound to make it bounce ..

Timbermate is 3.6mm and has a rather high insulation value (plus it weighs a ton!)

The thickness of an underlayment is not always relevant to how well it insulates, the materials used in the underlayment is often more important.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back