underlying woodstain causing yellowing on white paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I moved into my house, all of the door frames and skirting boards were made of pine and had been stained to an antique pine colour. We wanted to paint them white so I done the following:

• Lightly sanded wood
    Painted on a primer (B&Q quick dry all purpose primer & undercoat)
    Painted on 2x coats of dulux satinwood

The problem with this is that there is a yellowing coming through. This isn't really happening on the skirting but is significant on the door surrounds. When I realised what was happening, I tried applying a 3rd coat of satinwood but that didn't make a difference.

Is there something I can put over the satinwood to properly seal this so I can put on a final coat of satinwood which will then stay white? I read a bit about this and it would appear I should have maybe used an aluminium based wood primer in the first place before applying anything. I'm hoping I don't have to strip everything off and go right back to the wood so any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Did you use an oil based satinwood as these can yellow very quickly? Or have you definitively confirmed that it is the stain that is bleeding through? If it is certain that it is the stain then try something like zinsser B-I-N primer. This will seal the stain and you can then over paint this with satinwood. I would also opt for a water based satinwood as these tend not to yellow!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back