1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Underneath showers

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Sanlucar79, 17 Sep 2020.

1. Sanlucar79

Sanlucar79

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I am replacing a very old shower as part of a bathroom overhaul. I Will need to level the floor but currently the new shower pan has a gap beneath It as It rests on the floor by its sides with the actual base elevated. It is fibreglass. My question is do I need anything in this space to support the base? Or should It be strong enough as is? Thanks

2. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Depends what your new shower tray is and how you're fitting out the cubicle (plastic enclosure, tiled walls, plastic panels, who knows).
    If its a timber floor usually wise to put a sheet of 25mm ply under the tray

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Sanlucar79

Sanlucar79

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Tile walls, concrete floor. But as I explained the centre is off the ground only the sides touch the floor. Thanks

5. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok. Again depends on your shower tray. The cast resin ones usually need a mortar bed to completely support them, plastic & fibreglass vary but will usually benefit from full support rather than edge only (much less movement in the tray when you step into it)

6. Sponsored Links