Understairs storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to create some extra space under our stairs. is it doable? do I need supports? I dont think its a support wall. its in a small walkway (700mm width) to garage. (A) is an external wall, (B) is a load internal wall between inside room and garage, the other side (C) inside garage aerated block, same as this wall i want down.

garage area
| |-----C-------
A | this space understairs
| |
| -----B--------

Sponsored Links
Not really making any sense there. Try drawing a sketch plan and section, take a photo of it with your phone and upload that instead of going old-school ASCII drawings.

I want to create some extra space under our stairs. is it doable?
, only if you are building a Tardis. I think you want to open out the space and incorporate this area into an existing room.
Normally stair cases are made off site and fitted into a gap left by the builder. So all the timberwork could be removed either side of a stair case and it would be OK. The main provisor is that sometimes there is a load bearing stud under the top of the stairs carrying the weight of the stairs down to the floor joists with the other side of the stairs being fastened to a load bearing wall. This is to support the trimmer which carries the upstairs floor joists.
Frank

Sponsored Links
like space for the hoover under stairs. the wall (B) is aerated blocks. the beams upstairs do go across (as in over) the wall, but as the wall is so small, I am not sure it would be a load bearer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back