understairs striplight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just fitted a light in a cupboard under the stairs via a switched fused spur, I have power to the connections in the light unit, but am not getting any light!

I could, if need be, take the power through a ceiling rose to a separate switch from the fused spur, but is it necessary?

Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
Where is the switched fuse spur getting its power from?
How are you checking for 'power' being present?

Hi, if you are getting 240v across L and N at your light fitting -

Check- connections , lamp is working ? And remember to put a 3a fuse in the
fuse connection unit.

Kind regards

lxboy

Where is the switched fuse spur getting its power from?
How are you checking for 'power' being present?

Hi, the spur is getting the power from the back of a spur providing power to "under counter" kitchen lighting, I am checking for power with a "fluke" meter.

Sponsored Links
Hi, if you are getting 240v across L and N at your light fitting -

Check- connections , lamp is working ? And remember to put a 3a fuse in the
fuse connection unit.

Kind regards

lxboy

Hi lxboy, already completed all of the above, only used a 5 amp, not 3, so will change that!.
.Cheers.

Hi, the spur is getting the power from the back of a spur providing power to "under counter" kitchen lighting, I am checking for power with a "fluke" meter.
Taking a spur from a spur is not normally allowed.
You need to either draw out what you have done or provide some photographs of the wiring of the spur - the other spur and the light itself.
It is possible that you have only live and switch live at the light.

So either you have a duff light fitting, or you are not really providing it power.

You can rule out the light fitting by connecting a flex with a 13A plug to it (instead of any present connections) and see if it works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back