Understanding information on a transformer.

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a string of 8 garden lights with 10 watt bulbs without a transformer I also have a transformer with the following details on it which are Chinese to me. Could anyone tell me what wattage it will take?
PRI. 230-240V-50Hz 70 VA
SEC 36 V- Max 60 VA

Sponsored Links
Output VA in AC parlance is basically the same as Watts if it's feeding a resistive load - which light bulbs are. So the output is 36 volts at 60 watts (1.67A)

The 70VA on the primary is merely advising that the input demand is 70VA (cannot talk about watts in simple terms there as the input is inductive)
In reality it'll be something like 0.3A

As I have said on the other forum 6 x 10W = 60 VA with simple tungsten lamps. So can only run 6 lamps.

But 36 volt does seem unusual for lamps do check voltage of lamps.

Sponsored Links
I have a string of 8 garden lights with 10 watt bulbs without a transformer I also have a transformer with the following details on it which are Chinese to me. Could anyone tell me what wattage it will take? ... RI. 230-240V-50Hz 70 VA ... SEC 36 V- Max 60 VA
Do you know for sure that these are 'extra low voltage' bulbs/lamps wired in parallel (hence requiring a suitable transformer), rather than (a) 'extra low voltage' bulbs/lamps (each ~30A) wired in series (requiring to be run of 230V mains) or (b) mains voltage (230V/240V) bulbs/lamps wired in parallel (again requiring to be run off 230V mains)?

Whatever, as eric has pointed out, even if a transformer is required, your 60VA (~60W) one would not be enough for your 80W load, and the 36V voltage output of the transformer may well not be correct.

Is there a voltage rating indicated anywhere on the individual bulbs/lamps?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back