Understanding quotes on a big job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a fairly large house to do up. Most rooms need skimming and ceilings overboarding. Im starting with the kitchen. Will be stripped to a bare room.
There will be some prep as a wall is being removed and the ceiling needs boarding. Its 7mx3.6m.
Im getting a massive difference in quotes.
Any spreads tell me what a fair quite is.
There are 8 rooms around that size so I want to get the right budget.

Sponsored Links
its difficult with various quotes, I have had quite a few building projects quoted and seen huge differences in quote price and time to do it - often the quote does not detail enough information to make like for like comparisons , often its talking with the builders and understanding whats included and what is not

We had a few room plastered , one of the guys was terrible , and not the cheapest, mess every where , including the drive, wall and front door and car where he mixed the stuff up
I was away, and turned up late at night , so did not see the mess until the next morning..... the guy was highly recommended by other trades we had in at the time, electrician and a plumber !!!!!!!!
we did find someone else in the end, again recommended and not only was he cheaper a much better job plastering the bedroom.....

At the moment , getting builders locally for me is a real problem, they come and look at a job, some dont quote and when they do the cost is very very high.

Having a double wall knocked down, where a tree has pushed it over, and rebuilt in blockwork - taken over a year to find someone to do it......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back