Understanding zones for alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm moving in to a new house and want to fit an alarm have decided on a texecom prob a elite 24 . Just confused about zones and areas etc
Also do people rate the texecom alarms ?

Thanks

Mark

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Texecom, Pyronix and Honeywell seem to be preferred but maybe the Texecom & Pyronix are easier to program? As for the zones, you would usually split them into areas or detectors. e.g

back door contact would be 1 zone,
living room PIR another zone,
garage door contact another zone,
conservatory,
window sensors,
smoke alarms,
floor sensor etc...

So work out how many areas that you would like to protect/monitor and then go from there. Also you need to take into consideration if you will be able to run cables to those areas or will need wireless (or a mixture). Also keep in mind that you might have rooms that don't have any external access via door or window so these might not need there own detectors. Also think about features you might want, e.g. call/sms alerts, home automation integration, an app to remote set/unset, keyfob entry, multiple users with different access levels and so on...

Last edited:
Thanks omega I get it now. So you can have a few sensors in each zone. ie a door sensor and PIR .
Yer there's loads of choices
Want one that does SMS or call . Wired as can get to all rooms easily, like to have an app as well.
It's hard to know what one to go with as so many on the market.
Really want to fit it my self , I have Installed my CCTV so can't be hard can it ?

Yeah multiple detectors are available and plenty of choice, and I would recommend getting some dual technology detectors over basic PIR (reduces false alarms etc..). Wired is always better so its good that you can get cables to all places. Its not difficult to do if you have some basic knowledge and are prepared to learn. Although the Honeywell stuff isn't obvious and you need to know which menus the settings are hidden under etc...

Also have a read up on EOL resistors as this is usually what throws people off when wiring an alarm for the first time. Also this document will help you with some detector placement and some basic information on what your likely to come across when installing an alarm (first one that I came across from google and is not a recommendation for an alarm) https://www.security.honeywell.com/...-ProElectricianArticle-01-EN(0809)NL-C(F).pdf

Sponsored Links
Ok great thanks for that . Ok I have a look at the resistors .
Thanks very much I look though that's
Cheers

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back