Undoing window restrictor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, so my building has window restrictors so they only open about 15cm instead of the whole way. Clearly it has been extremely hot this week! Can I unlock the bar or the stopper on the right hand side and replace it when things cool down? If so what tool do I need?

Attachments

• 13833455_10154411874658470_2014776405_o.jpg
    13833455_10154411874658470_2014776405_o.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 96
Sponsored Links
Restrictors are often fitted to windows to ensure people, specifically children and vulnerable adults, cannot climb out of the window and fall down the outside of the building.

Is it a building regulation to stopped you looking over neighbours property ?

No, it is just a normal window in a block of flats with the restrictor put in for safety. I just want to be able to open it fully for the next week or so while its so hot. I don't plan on jumping out during that time!

Sponsored Links
No, it is just a normal window in a block of flats with the restrictor put in for safety. I just want to be able to open it fully for the next week or so while its so hot. I don't plan on jumping out during that time!

Nor did people that fell out accidentally, it's like not wearing your seat belt because your not planning on having a crash

Seriously? It is almost chest height with a great big desk in front of it...
I previously lived in the Netherlands where they don't do health and safety restrictors. I had three huge waist height windows that swung all the way open on the 12th floor... you don't see many stories of Dutch people falling out of their flats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back