Window lock stuck!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not having a lot of luck with windows this week!

A bathroom window (small, horizontal top outwards opening) has stuck locked. The handle turns smoothly but the window remains locked.

From the movement of the pane, it feels like it's unlocked on the left but the right remains firm.

I've taken the handle off and the spine looks fine and turns the mechanism 90 degrees as it should but the right hand side won't budge.

I can't see anyway of getting to the inside of the pane to try and sort the lock. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Sponsored Links
Gearboxs most likely need replacing.

Diy is possible but depends on your skill level and bravery.

1st start with a window that works (assuming they are all the same make) and is easily accessible inside and out.

Open it and take the handle off, Then go outside and remove the gearbox by taking out all the screws. Take photos of the gearbox and note down any codes and stamps on it then put it all back together. (Give it a good clean and lube while your at it, Silicone spray is best)

Google the codes or post the pics here and you can order the gearboxs for however many windows you need.

Next getting the window open. The smaller they are the trickier they are to do.
Take out the glass, Open the handle then remove it.
Then with tools like flat screwdrivers and flat scrapers you need to force them in the side between the sash and the frame, Then wiggle and bend the sash side to side at the bottom edge while pushing the unlocked side out with one hand.
Eventually the sash should force open and by now you already know how to fit the gearbox.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/upvc-window-handle-not-working.431817/#ixzz3ZoYIhpkJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back