Uneconomic Repair

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It's less than that, but a lot more than you were predicting!

This is like waiting until next season to see whether the hero survived that explosion.
Are you going to tell us, or do you want us to guess some more. I'll have a stab at £1500, £1300, £1200, £1100 and 2 grand if it helps you along.

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but if you do have a car that is written off because of the cost of repair, then at a later stage the DVLA may ask you to take it to be inspected by one of their engineers, to check that it is the original vehicle chassis number, and not two welded together, which you have to pay for. The DVLA said that my insurance co requested the check, but they denied it, and the DVLA gave me a time limit when it had to be completed by. My local DVLA station could not do in the time reqired, so I had it done 250 miles away as that was convenient for me.

My insurance co was very awkward, demanding that it be repaired in a certain time or I would loose my insurance cover, and like the OP it had to be MOT-ed. it was a lot of hasel, the accident was my fault and if it happened again, I would not make a claim for my repair, in spite of the Insurance co giving me about £600, like the OP it just wasn't worth the hazzel.

Last edited:
She has ditched her old Golf, it has now gone to Auction as property of the ins co., she has received a cheque for £2K and has bought a 3 year old Yeti.
And the third party, who behaved disgustingly by denying even being at the scene (even though my Mum got her insurance certificate number!) has now been forced by legal threats to admit being there and has admitted liability.

Happy days.

Admit it, Secures, it was this bloke:

Guilty.JPG

Well this is the rub.
They're saying that even if the third party is blamed entirely for the accident, her premium will go up. Apparently loads of ins co's do it and it's basically because you're in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Have you heard of this before?
Unfortunately, this is correct and standard practice.

Its all about risk profiles. Statistically, you're more likely to make a claim if you've made a claim in the last 5 years, irrelevant of fault.

Your risk profile therefore goes up, even though your no claims discount (which is a percentage) may remain the same.

No, you can't claim it as an uninsured loss.

Admit it, Secures, it was this bloke
Au contraire, twas a lady!

Lower, she has sorted it all out with the ins co. The third party have accepted full liability and my Mum has had her NCD reinstated in full.

Her premium for next year will be very similar to competitors and not a lot more than last year. But it is a bit more expensive as she has a much newer car.

Sponsored Links
Back