Uneconomic Repair

Have found my Mum a Skoda Yeti DSG.

Still in discussion with the ins. co. about settlement, but I will let you know the outcome.

Sponsored Links
Enjoy the Yeti- I've been well chuffed with mine.
Watch out for rear wiper failure, steering wheel modules working spasmodically and a rust spot at the bottom corners of the doors :eek:
The DSG likes an oil change at 40k, likewise the Haldex clutch if it's 4x4.
John :)

Thanks for the tips. It's a 1.2 Elegance 2WD 15 plate with 15K miles.

My Mum's having more hassle...

Her insurance runs out in September. They won't tell her how much her renewal will be. Despite the details of the accident, the corresponding damage on each vehicle and a letter from her ins co. telling her they hold the third party (who is also with the same ins co.) to blame, they will not reinstate her NCB until they get "an admission of liability" from the TP.

She paid 475 for this year's car ins. Quotes from other ins co's for her replacement vehicle are £1300 minimum.

They have told her that her premium will increase just because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

While I know this happens, can it be argued that such an increase is an uninsured loss and as such can be claimed for?

Sponsored Links
Not really because she needs to be blame free to recover the extra charge and if she is, the charge won't be applied anyhow.

My Mum has a Golf just like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Golf-1-9TDI-PD-130bhp-2002-GT-/113042537493

It is slightly older (51 plate) and slightly higher mileage (97K) but importantly, is not in such good condition.

She was hit by someone coming out of a driveway, causing damage to every panel on the offside and scuffing both alloys.

We have not had absolute confirmation, but the insurance company think it may well be a write-off.

What would you estimate the minimum cost of repairs at?

Do you think they could be right?

my 51 plate golf 1.6S with 135K sold last year private for £650...your write off will be a lot less i guess
if that is any help
?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Not really because she needs to be blame free to recover the extra charge and if she is, the charge won't be applied anyhow.
Well this is the rub.
They're saying that even if the third party is blamed entirely for the accident, her premium will go up. Apparently loads of ins co's do it and it's basically because you're in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Have you heard of this before?

I suppose they'll argue it's a no claim bonus and not a no blame bonus. Very unfair IMO. I suppose you could argue that if they have recovered their outlay in full from the other side, then you haven't made a "claim" ?

Whether it makes any difference I don't know, but the other driver is with the same ins co.

:) She has Driver's Legal Protection, provided by the ins co....

Tell them you want to sue the third party. If anyone has any sense they'll speak to your insurers and get them to see sense.

Thanks people.

The case to determine liability is still on-going.

However, she has a cheque in settlement for the Golf.

Any guesses? :sneaky:

Sponsored Links
Back