uneven bathroom walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,
I am wanting to know if it is possible to tile directly onto this wall or not?
My other options would be to replaster, one or both walls, or replace the plasterboard wall.
It is for a bathroom, with a shower being in the corner, so both wall wills be effected.
See photos;
bathroom1_zpsriuh3ndu.jpg
bathroom2_zpsx27nm1tx.jpg

photo 1, plastered brick wall, i can either reskim or patch up
photo 2, plasterboard wall with insulation behind
thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
So both walls will eventually become wet walls?

Dont tile on plasterboard if its on a wet wall - replace the p/b with backer board.

The skim plaster seems to be unstable on the masonry wall. Is the backing plaster firm?
Remove all the skim, and if the base plaster coat is flat and plumb then after prepping with an adhesive friendly sealer (not PVA) you could tile over.

Use powdered adhesive.

OP,
FWIW: the scratch marks on the float coat (browning?) & the rad pipes show a bit of poor DIY'ing by someone in the past - just beware, and have everything tested before expending time and money on a job.

Hi Vinn,
Thanks for your reply,
I have taken all the finish plaster coat off and has reveiled a level but bumpy back plaster surface, which I think after repairing the bumps i can tile over.(which has the scratch)
I have also bought new plasterboard to redo the plasterboard wall.
No rad pipes in the bathroom, just evacuation pipe, which i will be redoing.

Bumps are bad for tile - you could hack off back to the masonry to be certain of a new start (with backer boards or sand and lime render?)

What do you intend with the new plaster boards?

If possible you never tile over skim esp. with large tile.

My monitor screen isn't too clear but what I'm seeing is waste pipes or pipe then?

Sponsored Links
Not bumps sorry scraps and holes, so i thought i could fill them in.
take down the old plasterboards and redo them.
yes what your seeing is the waste pipe, for the old sink and shower

FWIW: I've suggested above that you dont use plaster board on a wet wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back