Uneven Concrete Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping someone out there can help me.

I have had my hallway extended and a concrete floor put down, however this new floor is about 1.5 inches lower than the original floor. Also to make things worse the orignal hallway is up and down all over the place, in some places out by about 1.5inches.

I was thinking that i would be able to put down leveling concrete down and this would be alright but looking at this site has told me otherwise. I do not want to go any higher than the highest bit of the floor at the moment. I think this will make it harder to do because i will have to make the concrete to thin. The hallway in total is about 10x8feet split roughly 50/50 between old and new.

What would be the best option for me to do?? :?: and what mix would be best to use :?: . Plus any tips in getting the floor level :?:

I dont ask for much!!! Hope some kind person can help.
Cheers
Craig

Sponsored Links
A lot depends on what top floor covering you're intending to put down, e.g. if tiling you need a much leveller surface than e.g. underlay/carpet. Also, how competent are you at diy? If you've done a bit of concreting/plastering you should be ok. If it's your first time you might be better getting a floor man in.

Thanks for the reply, i should have said, looking to put tiling down on it after. I have done a bit of diy, but will be getting my dad to help, who has quite a bit of experiance.(wont say how much, he might read it!!!)

Assuming you've already got DPM and insulation under the concrete, I would suggest a two stage process:

1) Sand cement screed (you can get good info on mixes and techniques by search on this and other forums)
2) Self levelling screed.

If you're confident, you could do it all in one hit (i.e. without self levelling
screed).

Set up some timber levels across the area at centres that allow you to spread a levelling batten across between each level when laying the screed. Set the levels very accurately, maybe on gripfill or dry mix sand/cement. If necessary on the higher areas, dig out some concrete to set the battens in. Screed between the battens and bob's your uncle. If your not confident, set the battens 3 to 5mm lower than finished height, to allow for the self-levelling screed afterwards.

PS I've found B&Q to be cheapest s-l screed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I wimped out and set the battens slightly lower so i can use self leveling. However now it has set it is pretty well level so i proberbly could have done it all in one go. All good experiance for next time though.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Craig

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back