Uneven joist

OP, you've got yourself & your bathroom into a bit of a muddle by making what seem like impulsive actions based on less than knowledgeable advice.

"Ply it is then" - why? Why exchange the on-site chipboard for buying in more flooring? What is your decision based on, & how do you imagine that ply is going to improve things?

18mm or 22mm P5 chipboard is the most commonly used flooring (esp. for baths & kitchens) across the large building sites that I'm familiar with. I'm told that its the most commonly specified flooring in the UK.

And we all know the large builders are in the game for the customers best interests and not the profits.

Sponsored Links
And we all know the large builders are in the game for the customers best interests and not the profits.

I picked up 2 sheets of 25mm ply yesterday.
Got the first one cut and into position, not screwed down yet but F Me what a difference it feels already! Just feels so solid.

Because it's thicker it's going to be harder to pull down to the lower joist, but I'm guessing/hoping it'll actually hold there with plenty of screw without any problems.

Cheers.

Not only will ply, or T&G timber floorboards, be more flexible, but chipboard isn't a hugely good idea for flooring in a bathroom. It's not ideal anywhere really, but particularly not where there's a high risk of frequent wetting.
Ever heard of P5 chipboard. Not all chipboard is equal. New builds are full of underspecified joists and badly installed low quality chipboard. Decent joists, decent chipboard (e.g Egger P5) properly fixed ( screwed at 150mm to 200mm centres, end joints supported on joists, joints glued with D4 glue) is durable and won't squeak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
JobAndKnock,

Take a horse to water - in fact, take a few horses to water. There are those on here that cant or wont learn.

AAMOI: this "chipboard is rubbish" business thats been around for a while esp. on new builds, has more to do with the "throw it in for a price fixing gangs" than with any innate fault with the materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back